If you are in preterm labor or think you may be, your doctor may do some tests to monitor you and your baby. These tests include:
- Lab tests—These may involve testing blood and urine to look for infection.
Ultrasound—This test uses sound waves to create images of the inside of your body. In this case, the ultrasound is done to:
- Examine the placenta
- Check the baby’s age
- Look for birth defects in the baby
- See the position of the baby
- Measure the cervix and the amount of amniotic fluid
- Amniocentesis —This test involves removing a small amount of amniotic fluid to look for infection or to see if the baby’s lungs are mature.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Beverly Siegal, MD, FACOG
- Review Date: 03/2018 -
- Update Date: 03/09/2016 -